Palazzo Farnese, one of the most important High Renaissance palaces in Rome, was started in 1514 by Antonio Sangallo, continued by Michelangelo and completed by Giacomo della Porta. Owned by the Republic of Italy, it was given to the French Government in 1936 for a period of 99 years, and currently serves as the French embassy in Italy.
GUIDED TOUR IN ENGLISH
Wednesday at 17.00 (5.00 p.m.)
Guided tour: 9 euro (entrance + guided tour) + 3 euro (agency fees)
TERMS OF PAYMENT
AT TIME OF BOOKING WILL NEED TO LEAVE YOUR NAME, DATE AND PLACE OF BIRTH AND NUMBER OF AN IDENTITY DOCUMENT
THE RESERVATION CONFIRMATION AND 'SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY OF BOOKING SYSTEMS ON LINE OF PALACE FARNESE RESERVATION REQUIRED TWO WEEKS BEFORE
As the Palazzo Farnese is hosting a diplomatic mission, the visits are subject to certain conditions :
- Booking being closed one week before the date of the visit, no registration is possible beyond this term.
- The program of the visit may be modified due to official necessities. In case of cancellation on behalf of the Embassy, it will be offered either to book on another date or to get a refund.
- Children under 10 will are not admitted.
- Interpretation into other languages during visits is not permitted
First designed in 1517 for the Farnese family, the building expanded in size and conception when Alessandro Farnese became Pope Paul III in 1534, to designs by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger. Its building history involved some of the most prominent Italian architects of the 16th century, including Michelangelo, Jacopo Barozzi da Vignola and Giacomo della Porta.
Several main rooms were frescoed with elaborate allegorical programs including the Hercules cycle in the Sala d'Ercole or the Hercules Room, and the well known The Loves of the Gods (1597ÔÇô1608) in the Farnese Gallery, both by the Bolognese painter Annibale Carracci. Other rooms have frescoes by Daniele da Volterra and by other artists.
At the end of the 16th century, the important fresco cycle of The Loves of the Gods in the Farnese Gallery was carried out by the Bolognese painter Annibale Carracci, marking the beginning of two divergent trends in painting during the 17th century, the Roman High Baroque and Classicism.