address: Via Nomentana, 70
Villa Torlonia is located along the Via Nomentana, right in front of Villa Paganini.
This console was the preferred route by Roman nobles to build their suburban residences located just outside the city walls.
It was mostly country villas obtained with the restructuring of rural houses.
Villa Torlonia, the most recent of Roman villas of the nobility, still retains a special charm due to the originality of the landscaped garden and the rich amount of buildings and artistic furnishings around the park.
The monumental entrance to the villa is located on Via Nomentana at number 68 and is marked by two small temples on two lanterns Ionic columns and surmounted by eagles on the uprights of the wrought iron gate.
The current layout of the residence, which is not open to the public, is almost entirely due to the architect Caretti.
For his work, the main entrance of the palace was turned in the direction of Main Street with the addition of a majestic colonnade.
Of particular interest is the Obelisk in pink granite, carving done in Baveno by Alessandro Torlonia and erected in 1842, the Honorary Column and the Theatre, which recalls the grandeur of the Pantheon, the Medieval Cottage built by Julius Borghese for children who resided there until his death in 1915, the limonaia, a simple building that bears the coat of arms on the facade of the main column and the Torlonia (in memory of the marriage of Alessandro Torlonia and Teresa column), the Cottage of Principles, in neo-Renaissance style decorated by Caretti.
The old Stables, featuring a beautiful marble sculpture in the shape of a horse head, the New Stables, a low yellow building that now houses a senior center and the Red Cottage, which houses the headquarters of the Academy of Sciences, the Serra Moorish, inspired by the architecture of the mosque in Cordoba and the Alhambra in Granada, the range of tournaments, a large square of medieval inspiration on which there are three pavilions pointy, closed with wooden planks, the hoot owls, created by Jappelli Swiss architect as a hut, and the temple of Saturn, adorned with bas-reliefs along to the grotto were the only buildings to escape destruction after that part of the garden was expropriated to widen the Via Nomentana.